Edenic Green provides a niche combination of environmental engineering services and environment-improving products, addressing the critical issues pertaining to harsh chemicals and toxic cleaning products which are having adverse effects on the health of our community as well as agriculture
Shefali Kocchar of Incubees speaks with Seethesh Rajan, Founder & CEO, Edenic Green, a Make-in-India startup that is on a mission to contribute towards a greener, safer and healthier world for the current and future generations. Offering high-quality environmental friendly cleaning products
Incubees: Tell us about your product or services:
Seethesh Rajan: GOOD THINGS BEGIN AT HOME”. We at Edenic Green, consider cleaning as our only responsibility to make our home, workspace, and the world a better place to live in and believe GREEN should be our natural way of life. A higher quality of life, in our minds, means more time with family and friends, a lower cost of living, a toxic-free home and surroundings, and more time spent in nature, thereby looking forward to a safe, healthy, and sustainable life.
Edenic Green’s mission is to restore our world into a clean, green, sustainable & a down to earth home for us as well as our future generations. We are a ‘MAKE IN INDIA’ startup, in Mumbai with a zeal to make safer and cleaner ingredients that are truly inspired by nature, which helps our mother earth soil to be enriched, in order to increase the community of microorganism.
Our research in biotechnology & innovation of blend of enzymes and a combination of 100% plant-derived ingredients which are recommended by EPA (Environment Protection Agency), our products are unique in nature because while cleaning, it breaks down a complex structure of dirt to a simple structure due to the blend of enzymes. They work tough against dirt and grime but at the same time are very pleasant to use, a sustainable option you are looking for. Our products are so safe to use that the residual water is non-toxic to the soil and can be safely recycled without causing any harm to human, marine & plant life. With regular use of our products over a period of time, the environment around you will get free from toxic pollutants. We ensure that we strictly adhere to the policies of using only those contents which are classified as SAFE ingredients by various regulating authorities like EPA and IFRA (International Fragrance Regulatory Authority) etc. around the world.
Phase 1 of our products include:
- Edenic Green Floor cleaner
- Edenic Green surface cleaner disinfectant
- Edenic Green multi-surface disinfectant
- Edenic Green degreaser
- Edenic Green multipurpose cleaner
- Edenic Green foamless dish wash
- Edenic Green foamless liquid laundry detergent
- Edenic Green hand wash
- Edenic Green glass cleaner
As a niche service provider, we offer proven and advanced environmental solutions depending upon the need of the industries across sectors like Government, Healthcare, Hospitality, Schools & Universities, Laundry, Commercial Kitchens, Households, Residential/commercial buildings, Retail shops, Rehabilitation centers, Metros, Railways, Airports and many more.
Incubees: What makes your product/service unique and what competition do you see in India and Globally?
Seethesh Rajan: Enzymes are biological molecules (typically proteins) that significantly speed up the rate of virtually all the chemical reactions that takes place within cells. Enzymes speed up chemical reactions in the body but do not get used up in the process. Almost all biochemical reactions in living things need enzymes. Enzymes are vital for life and serve a wide range of important functions.
Our human body contains several trillion microorganisms including at least 1,000 different species of known bacteria. The bacteria in our gut produce enzymes to break down our food particles from complex structures to simple ones enabling digestion of food. They then convert them to glucose and food.
The food we eat can be majorly categorized into proteins, fats, carbohydrates, starch, mineral and lactose. Different kinds of enzymes are needed to break down each category of food. For example, the enzyme Protease helps in breaking down all proteins and the enzyme Lipase helps in digesting all fats.
The same concept applies to our environment when it comes to the decomposition of all organic waste. All kinds of dirt, be it soil, grease, grime, etc., can be cleaned very effectively using Edenic Green Enzyme based solutions without harming the environment. Millions of gallons of wastewater discharged after cleaning with our enzyme-based products can be directly used for watering plants without any detrimental effect on the environment.
Edenic Green has a range of cleaning solutions with advantages over chemical products such as:
- Biodegradable-Truly organic.
- Safe for children, pregnant women, Elders, and Pets.
- Chemical Free.
- No known allergen in ingredients.
- Cleans and disinfects at the same time.
- Powerful but safe.
- Can be flushed into drainage and waterways safely without any harmful residue.
- Non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-carcinogenic, Ph neutral, dries fast, leaves no residue.
- A unique blend of enzymes and plant-based surface-active agents with natural salts.
- Eco-friendly- doesnot affect marine life, animals, trees, and the whole eco-system.
I believe there will be huge competition in Consumer Purchase Behavior.
Prior to the current pandemic outbreak (Covid-19), the consumer would be more focused on pricing, quantity, quality, and turnaround time. Health, hygiene, safety, nature, protecting the environment was never given any attention.
Living with Covid-19:
- Potential inside every household will change, ensuring cleaner, healthier, and safer homes/workplace.
- Health and safety have taken precedence over prices.
- The spending capacity of consumers would change.
- The economy will be digital in nature; online transactions will be the only medium to conduct businesses. Traditional media has taken a back seat to online channels in most markets we compete in. Now, consumers are much more likely to go online, do some research and check out reviews to decide on a product they intend to purchase. The good news is that this change in buying habits represents a big opportunity for startups like ours that are interested in engaging with their customers online. Developing a strong online reputation and carefully it can become an essential part of our local marketing plans.
- Retail: Consumers will change loyalty if brands are not focused on health and safety.
- Increased level of mistrust (toxins present in daily cleaning products).
- Rebuilding the trust (well-known brands).
The most important factors in a consumer’s mind would be:
- Fear: The fear of whether any product they buy is good or bad. There is always going to be a doubt in the consumer’s mind. For example, Most of us give our clothes to a Dhobi for cleaning, however, post Covid-19, there is going to be a fear in the consumer’s mind; ‘IS IT SAFE AND HYGIENIC TO GIVE OUR CLOTHES TO A DHOBI NOW? How are the clothes being washed, what kind of chemicals are they using to wash our clothes, etc.?
- Safety and Hygiene: Post Covid-19, safety and hygiene will be the new norm.
- Quality: The quality of the products we buy. Consumers will start reading the labels more intensely especially the ingredients that go into making that product.
- Turnaround time and transparency.
India being a tropical country, consumers were used to living with dust, humidity, dirt, and unhygienic places. However, post-Covid-19, consumers will bring about a lot of changes in their approach towards hygiene, health, and safety. The cleaning industry is already undergoing a whole new level of evolution.
There is a good old saying “God always forgives, human beings sometimes forgive, but nature will never forgive”. Consumers are experiencing this reality and are becoming even more aware of the usage of toxic chemicals at homes, offices, their surroundings, and the ill effects of toxic chemicals that are being released into our waters. Let’s ask our conscience: ARE WE READY FOR ANOTHER OUTBREAK?
For a long time, hygiene products were confined to soaps, face wash, and hair care in India. Commenting on the growth attention of consumers on personal hygiene products during the covid-19 pandemic, Deep Bajaj, founder of Sirona Hygiene added “It’s sad that it took a pandemic like Covid-19 to emphasize the importance of hygiene but now this has happened —- habits across the pyramid will change.
Incubees: What are the challenges you see in the market at this point in time?
Educating individuals, societies, and corporates about the dangers of using toxic chemicals is a major challenge. Not many people are aware of the hidden toxins like Phthalates, Perchloroethylene (PERC). Triclosan Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QUATS) Ammonia, Chlorine, Sodium Hydroxide, present in chemical-based cleaning solutions and the associated health risks. There are around 1024 planets in the universe and life exists probably only on Earth. In the Solar system, there are 8 planets, and it is confirmed that the existence of life is not possible on the other 7 planets as the environment is not conducive for life. We are fortunate to have lived on earth, but due to our own selfishness, the environment is getting damaged and occurrences, such as global warming, climate change, pollution air, noise, water, and land are on the rise. This is not only affecting the quality of life but posing challenges to the very existence of life. More studies are churning out evidence that indoor air contaminants and chemical pollutants may actually be weighing us down “(Gulf news dated 02/07/2017)” and the environment is and would be everyone’s concern. Global warming and the infertility of land on account of excessive use of chemicals and pesticides compelled the European and western countries to shift to biodegradable and eco-friendly cleaning products.
- Resistance to Change:
Change is always scary and green cleaning or moving to sustainable cleaning products is no exception. There is a perception that making a change would cost more money, however, there is no proper road map to green cleaning.
- Consumer Skepticism:
Many consumers still have the perception that green cleaners will not do the same job cleaning their clothes or dishes as conventional cleaners.
- Lack of knowledge about green cleaning and its importance.
- Sustainable raw material selection.
- Willingness to pay.
Incubees: Tell us about your team and what inspires them?
Seethesh Rajan: Even before forming this company, we have spent around 4 years of research with several biotechnology specialists and people pioneers on surface chemistry. Edenic Green LLP was established in June 2020. Currently, we are a team of 3 passionate individuals who are committed to bettering life across the planet in ways that may feel small, but absolutely add up to a sustainable future for our next generation. The desire to learn, educate and bring about changes are just some of the factors that motivate us. We aim to live in a way that inspires others to adopt more sustainable lifestyles. Our team is committed to protecting the planet and that means protecting all its people with just enough bold hope and gritty determination to fill in any gaps for a cleaner, greener future. And together, our story is just beginning.
INCUBEES: Where do you see your products/services reaching in the next 5 years?
Seethesh Rajan: With a population of around 1.25 billion in India, we see a huge potential, especially now when there is a huge focus on hygiene and safety. Currently, we are looking at setting up a manufacturing unit, along with an R&D facility in Mumbai, and in the coming years, we have plans to set up a manufacturing unit in Goa, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Chennai. We are looking at formulating products like Odor control, Toilet cleaner, Non-alcoholic hand sanitizers, Insect/bug control, toilet seat cleaner in phase 2; Phase 3, we would be formulating products such as Grease traps, sewage treatment plants.
We also have plans to venture into the personal care segment.
Incubees: Do you have plans to raise funding to grow your business or allow your business to organically grow.
Seethesh Rajan: Yes, we are currently looking at incubation funding which can help us with creating a minimum fixed infrastructure for production to grow our business.
Incubees: What are the challenges you face as a startup?
- Financing/Raising funds: Availability of finances is critical for startups and is always a challenge to get sufficient funds. The requirement starts increasing as the business progresses. Scaling of business requires timely infusion of capital. Proper cash management is critical.
- Revenue Generation
- Finding the right talent: Assembling a good team with the right talent and skill.
- Creating awareness in the market: The environment for a startup is usually more difficult than an established firm due to the uniqueness of the product.
- Right Mentor: Proper guidance and mentorship is another challenge.
- Lack of marketing strategies
- Exceed customer expectations: Gauging the market need for the product, existing trends etc. Innovation can be another challenge. Good knowledge to counter competition with appropriate strategies.
- Regulations: Regulations pertaining to labor laws, intellectual property rights, dispute resolution, etc are rigorous in India
- Government’s involvement and transparency: The start-up concept in India is not well defined. If we approach the banks for funding, then we have to show our profit and loss for the last 3 years. In short, banks will only fund organizations that are operational for a minimum of 3 years. There are many schemes launched by the government for startups, however, they don’t seem to be conducive for startups.
To know more and to get in touch with Edenic Green: http://edenicgreen.com/#!/about